Interpreting & translation
Did you know that Sandwell MBC offers interpreting and translation for all our services?
If you visit one of our offices we may have employees on hand who are able to interpret for you, or you can speak to us through a telephone interpreter which we will arrange.
If you need an interpreter for a meeting or appointment with us, tell a member of staff beforehand and they will arrange for one to be present.
We also offer to translate all of our documents, forms, letters and leaflets, and can provide large print, audio and braille transcripts, as well as audio versions. From our homepage you can access our most requested leaflets translated into the 7 most frequently read languages and EasyRead. We will shortly be providing British Sign Language films of the leaflets and there is also a link showing how to contact Sandwell MBC via a video link to a British Sign Language Interpreter. If you need a language translation, please contact, your Housing Service Centre or telephone the equality team on 0121-569 6030 or our customer relations team.
If you have already completed the 'Getting to Know You' equality monitoring form, we will have information about your requirements on our system. Please contact the Equality Team on 0121-569 6030 if you would like help to complete your form. The details we collect will help us to identify your specific needs.
Ways in which we can communicate with you
- Telephone Interpreting - we may have an employee who can speak the language you require and who can speak directly to you, or alternatively we use Language Line Services - a National Interpreting Service which has access to telephone interpreters in more than 170 languages. Using this service we can have a 3-way conversation where interpreters will accurately and securely pass on information between you and the Sandwell MBC representative
- Face-to-Face Interpreting - if you have an appointment with a Sandwell MBC representative and need an interpreter to be present, we can arrange this
- British Sign Language - we can arrange for a BSL interpreter to assist you as long as you give us notice to make the arrangements
- Textphone - Customers wishing to contact Sandwell MBC out of office hours for emergency repairs or homelessness can text a message to 07797 885071
- Translations - we offer to translate relevant correspondence or documents on request
- Braille - we can also offer to translate relevant correspondence and documents into Braille
- Audio - relevant correspondence and documents can be produced in Audio format on request
- Browse-aloud - this will help people with visual impairments to access our website. The software is free and can be installed onto your computer – (see our Homepage)
- All of our front-line offices have hearing loops on reception to enable easier communication with customers with hearing difficulties
- All of our reception areas also have Customer Care Kits available which include transaction aids such as: special ‘grip’ pens, magnifiers, and signature plates