Housing options & advice
The Housing Options service provides free specialist housing advice in Sandwell. We provide high quality advice on any housing issue and deal with homelessness on behalf of Sandwell Council.
What do I do if I need some housing advice?
- We have fact sheets covering topics commonly raised. Select Factsheets from the right hand menu.
- You can contact us by telephone 0121 569 6000 (Option 3). Our phone lines are open from 8am-8pm Mon-Fridays. We will take some initial details and provide you with the advice you need. If your case requires further actions we will refer you to a named Housing Options officer.
- You can email us email@example.com. We can ring you back and take some initial details from you. If your case requires further actions we will refer you to a named Housing Options Officer. Or we can respond by email if you wish.
Select for further Information on:-
- If you are looking for a new Council Tenancy click here. Fact sheet available (right hand menu)
Discretionary Housing Payments - more help with rent and council tax:
If you are in receipt of partial housing benefit or council tax Benefit and you are finding it difficult to meet your element of rent or council tax you may be entitled to discretionary housing payments.
Registered Social Landlords advertise some of their properties through the Choice Based Lettings Scheme at Sandwell Homes.
- Select the option from the menu on the right hand side
- For more information click here Fact sheet available (right hand menu)
Contact us if your landlord has asked you to leave - we can make sure your landlord has given you a legal notice and advise you what will happen next. We offer advice about illegal evictions and landlord harassment.
- Thinking of renting privately? Click here for more information on external website
- Top Tips for Tenants: August 2011 - click here
- Help with Deposits? Select Factsheets from the right hand menu
- Local Housing Allowance - Housing Benefit for Private Tenants
- Changes to Housing Benefit if you are Privately Renting
- Private landlord accreditation & landlord responsibilites
- Top Tips for Landlords: August 2011 click here
- Gaining Possession of a Privately Rented Property click here
- Discretionary Housing Payments - more help with rent and council tax claim form
- Sandwell Homes Fact sheets available (right hand menu)
SAFE – Safe Agent Fully Endorsed – is a mark denoting Agents that protect landlords
and tenants money through client money protection schemes.
Find a Safe Agent here
on external website
Making buying a home an affordable option
- Low Cost Home Ownership click here
- Home buying schemes - help to buy a home click here
- Fact sheet available (right hand menu)
- Shared ownership properties are advertised in our Property Newsletter click here
Owner Occupiers - Mortgage Worries?
You may be worried about the security of your job or struggling to pay all your bills Have you missed some payments and getting letters from your lender. Please don't wait to get help and advice about your mortgage worries. We can refer you to our Money Advice Worker. For further information please see:
Online Debt Service - My Money Steps
My Money Steps is a free online debt advice service run by National Debtline. It provides tailored advice based on your situation and a personalised action plan to help you take control of your debts. Visit www.mymoneysteps.org for independent and confidential debt advice 24 hours a day.